Saturday, February 8, 2014

Dollar Store Bird DIY

After conducting this DIY at home, I realized it's not very inventive or unusual.  Pretty much anyone could think of getting something ugly and painting over it to make it cuter.  However, I can remember countless times that I have perused the shelves of the thrift store and overlooked ugly little figurines.  I don't know why I had never considered the obvious!  If it has a good shape, you can always paint it!!  

So at Dollar Tree this week, I found these little bird figurines and knew I just had to have them for only a dollar!  The colors were bland and some even looked exceptionally creepy. As in....they might come alive in the night and attack you like the movie, The Birds.  I'm sure most of you would pass it by without a second glance.  Here's to finding something creative in the unattractive!



Doesn't he just scream, "Help! Please make me cute!"?

Cost should be pretty minimal if you are a crafty person, because you likely own most of the supplies. If not, invest in a little art kit for the home that you can use for projects in the future.  (glitter, cheapo acrylic paints, brushes, modpodge/glue, sharpies, felt, etc.)

Even Nutscat couldn't wait to get started!



Materials: 


Choose a color palette for your birdie!  Check out images online of other illustrations to get ideas.   These are a few I found on pinterest that I really love:

 

Once you have your materials, start painting away! I always encourage color mixing, so your piece is especially unique!  You can use the current markings as a general guide to where details belong or gain ideas from the illustrations you've gathered. 


To add glitter, just slap on some modpodge or white glue and dust the piece.  Don't forget to work on a piece of paper so you can save the "runoff" glitter and pour it back into your jar.  And also to avoid a huge mess. :)


If you want to add more dimension to your little figurine, paint a base layer first and let it dry.  Then, water down a darker shade of the same color and paint it on the bird quickly.  Before it dries, wipe it down with a wet paper towel, so the darker shade just hides in all the little cracks and crevices.  



So there ya have it! A mini "DIY" of sorts.  I hope this encourages you to be open minded when you see that ugly sale item and wonder, " Why would anyone buy that?"






1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! I can't tell you how many times I thought that very thing! Great DIY!

    ReplyDelete